Moving from RPubs to Github documents

If you still follow my Twitter feed – I pity you, as it’s been rather boring of late. Consisting largely of Github commit messages, many including the words “knit to github document”.

Here’s why. RPubs, an early offering from RStudio, has been a great platform for easy and free publishing of HTML documents generated from RMarkdown and written in RStudio. That said, it’s always been very basic (e.g. no way to organise documents by content, tags). There’s been no real development of the platform for several years and of late, I’ve noticed it’s become less reliable. Bugs, for example, such as one document overwriting another when published from RStudio.

I think it’s unlikely that issues will be addressed, given that RStudio are now focused on RStudio Connect. So I’ve removed as many documents as I can and rewritten them as Github documents. These render as HTML when pushed to Github, generating attractive reports. Here’s an example.

I’ve done my best to update all blog posts here with links to the new reports. If you do come across old broken links to RPubs reports, just remember that the content is probably now at Github.

I’ve left a small number of reports at RPubs for now – those ones are interactive and use Javascript-based libraries such as Highcharter or Leaflet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s