Moving from RPubs to Github documents

If you still follow my Twitter feed – I pity you, as it’s been rather boring of late. Consisting largely of Github commit messages, many including the words “knit to github document”.

Here’s why. RPubs, an early offering from RStudio, has been a great platform for easy and free publishing of HTML documents generated from RMarkdown and written in RStudio. That said, it’s always been very basic (e.g. no way to organise documents by content, tags). There’s been no real development of the platform for several years and of late, I’ve noticed it’s become less reliable. Bugs, for example, such as one document overwriting another when published from RStudio.

I think it’s unlikely that issues will be addressed, given that RStudio are now focused on RStudio Connect. So I’ve removed as many documents as I can and rewritten them as Github documents. These render as HTML when pushed to Github, generating attractive reports. Here’s an example.

I’ve done my best to update all blog posts here with links to the new reports. If you do come across old broken links to RPubs reports, just remember that the content is probably now at Github.

I’ve left a small number of reports at RPubs for now – those ones are interactive and use Javascript-based libraries such as Highcharter or Leaflet.

Addendum to yesterday’s post on custom CSS and R Markdown


Updates from RStudio support:
(1) “Thanks for reporting and I was able to reproduce this as well. I’ve filed a bug and we’ll take a look.”
(2) Taking a further look, this is actually a bug in the Markdown package and we’ve asked the maintainer (Jeffrey Horner) to look into it.

As juejung points out in a comment on my previous post, applying custom CSS to R Markdown by sourcing the custom rendering function breaks the rendering of inline equations.

I’ve opened an issue with RStudio support and will update here with their response. In the meantime, one solution to this problem is:

  1. Do not create the files custom.css or style.R, as described yesterday
  2. Instead, just put the custom CSS at the top of your R Markdown file using style tags, as shown below
<style type="text/css">
table {
   max-width: 95%;
   border: 1px solid #ccc;
}

th {
  background-color: #000000;
  color: #ffffff;
}

td {
  background-color: #dcdcdc;
}
</style>