A few years ago, the head of my research group asked if I’d like to help write a chapter for a book. I weighed up the pros: it was an updated version of a previous book (so not too much work), it was invited (so not too many battles with reviewers) and it’s another item to go on the CV. The cons: typically, this kind of article appears in an obscure, closed publication that no-one ever reads or cites. So I said sure, why not and we wrote it.
It’s listed on my publications page at this blog as:
Saunders, N.F.W., Brinkworth, R.I., Kemp, B.E. and Kobe, B. (2010). Substrates of Cyclic Nucleotide-Dependent Protein Kinases. In: Handbook of Cell Signalling (Bradshaw, R.A., Dennis, E., eds.). Academic Press San Diego, 182:1489-1495. [DOI]
and sure enough, if you visit that DOI (and have a Science Direct subscription), you’ll find chapter 182 in the Handbook of Cell Signalling.
I thought no more about it, until I updated my Google Scholar citations page, where I found this:
Substrates of Cyclic Nucleotide-Dependent Protein Kinases
Neil FW Saunders, Ross I Brinkworth, Bruce E Kemp, Bostjan Kobe
Transduction Mechanisms in Cellular Signaling: Cell Signaling Collection 399
And here’s the link at Google Books. Same article, same editors – but in chapter 41 of a different book: Transduction Mechanisms in Cellular Signaling: Cell Signaling Collection, on pages 399-405.
So apparently, my chapter has been “repurposed” for a completely different publication. Perhaps this transpired in consultation with the research group after I left. Perhaps there’s a long-forgotten email trail in which I agreed to this. Or perhaps we have so little control over our own work that strange things like this can just happen.