Twitter Coverage of the Lorne Genome Conference 2017

Things to know about Lorne in the state of Victoria, Australia.

  • It’s situated on the Great Ocean Road, a major visitor attraction and a great way to see the scenic coastline of the region
  • It’s home to a number of life science conferences including Lorne Genome 2017

tweets-by-day-hour-1This week’s project then: use R to analyse coverage of the 2017 meeting on Twitter. I last did something similar for the ISMB meeting in 2012. How things have changed. Back then I prepared PDF reports using Sweave, retrieved tweets using the twitteR package and struggled with dates and time when plotting timelines. This time around I wrote RMarkdown in RStudio, tried out the newer rtweet package and, thanks to packages such as dplyr and lubridate, the data munging is all so much cleaner and simpler.

So without further ado here are:

The presentation examines several aspects of the conference coverage under the broad headings of timeline, users, networks, retweets, favourites, quotes, media and text. Make sure to click in the title page, then you can navigate using your arrow keys. The latest version will always be at Github; you can simply download that and open in a browser.

2 thoughts on “Twitter Coverage of the Lorne Genome Conference 2017

  1. Hi Neil,

    trying to run the R-Files

    The Rpres – Preview got me the following console output for the preview. Can you help me there? Just suppress the console echo or something like this?:


    Twitter Coverage of the Lorne Genome Conference 2017

    Neil Saunders
    2017-02-17 13:59:46

    processing file: lornegenome2017.Rpres
    Welcome to rtweet v0.4.0!

    Attaching package: 'dplyr'

    The following objects are masked from 'package:stats':

    filter, lag

    The following objects are masked from 'package:base':

    intersect, setdiff, setequal, union

    Attaching package: 'lubridate'

    The following object is masked from 'package:base':

    date

    Loading required package: RColorBrewer

    Attaching package: 'igraph'

    The following objects are masked from 'package:lubridate':

    %--%, union

    The following objects are masked from 'package:tidyr':

    %>%, crossing

    The following objects are masked from 'package:dplyr':

    %>%, as_data_frame, groups, union

    The following object is masked from 'package:rtweet':

    %>%

    The following objects are masked from 'package:stats':

    decompose, spectrum

    The following object is masked from 'package:base':

    union

    Attaching package: 'twitteR'

    The following objects are masked from 'package:dplyr':

    id, location

    The following object is masked from 'package:rtweet':

    lookup_statuses

    Quitting from lines 25-52 (lornegenome2017.Rpres)
    Fehler: oauth_listener() needs an interactive environment.
    Ausf�hrung angehalten

  2. I did not encounter a similar error, so difficult to say. The code to search Twitter won’t work unless you have set up a Twitter app, obtained keys and created a token exactly as described in the rtweet documentation. If that is set up correctly, preview in RStudio should work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s