Yes, I’m referring to you, SciLink.
- I create an account
- On trying to add contacts from my address book, 7 alert windows pop up with the message “the page at scilink says error” – fixed
- The page then hangs with a spinning icon
- Some time later, the site spews errors including “Exception org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException”
- Not to be deterred I try to edit my profile
- The “extensive database” finds
613 of my 23 publications and provides no easy way (e.g. PubMed ID) to add the rest
- The dates of my education are saved
incorrectly(1988-92 not 1989-93, 1992-96 not 1993-97) – fixed
- Apparently I will be in my current post until the year
- The final insult – no link to delete my account and escape
Can you tell that I’m annoyed? This is not the way to encourage social networking in science. Tip: don’t go live until your website works.
Update: I’ll say this for SciLink; they are very responsive and tolerant! Fixes and improvements are on the way.
Update 2: No, I’m just not impressed. Removed all scilink info and added a pointer here. And I want to delete the account.