We take the Easter long weekend very seriously here in Australia – i.e. everything is closed and there’s nothing to do. Let’s see what made it into the mainstream science media pages this week.
- Warming ‘already changing world’, says the IPCC.
- And not just our world – Mars is warming too (Nature abstract).
- Climate change fruitful for fungi – a great story in which over 50 years of notes by an amateur mycologist form the basis of this article in Science.
- DNA study sheds light on dog size – mutations in the IGF-1 gene explain most size differences in dogs.
- Giant crystals enjoyed perfection – behold, giant gypsum crystals in a Mexican cave.
- Joan of Arc remains ‘are fakes’ – who’d have thought it? Story in Nature, also gets a mention in Improbable Research.